All stray animals brought to OAHS are posted on the Found Strays at the Oshkosh Area Humane Society Facebook page. The pictures remain posted until the stray-hold period is over (4 days plus the day of intake) or the animal is redeemed by the owner, whichever occurs first.

The Oshkosh Area Humane Society is contracted with many townships (see below list) around the Fox Valley area to take any stray pets that are found. If you find or lose a pet outside of the City of Oshkosh the first step is to contact the Town Chairperson or Constable to either get approval to bring the found animal to OAHS or to get any information about sightings of the animal you have lost.

IMPORTANT: A STRAY ANIMAL BECOMES THE LEGAL PROPERTY OF THE OSHKOSH AREA HUMANE SOCIETY IF NOT CLAIMED WITHIN THE FIVE-DAY STRAY HOLD PERIOD. Per Wisconsin Act 233, effective March 3, 2016, all stray animals entering an animal control facility or humane society with an animal control contract will have a FIVE (5) day stray hold period, four days plus the day of confiscation. This means that on day SIX (6) in custody, animals who have not been reclaimed may be adopted out or transferred to another facility for adoption.  For more information on the stray-hold laws in Wisconsin click HERE

The OAHS holds stray animal contracts with the following areas – meaning if a stray is found in one of these areas it can be brought to OAHS:

City of Oshkosh

Town of Algoma

Town of Black Wolf

  • Town Constable- Dan Valdez- (920)-420-1621

Town of Neenah (call for permission

  • Animal Control- Glen Armstrong- (920)-722-3355 or (920-475-0531

Town of Nekimi (call for permission)

  • Chairperson- Glen Bartels- (920)-426-5811

City of Omro (need permission form from Omro PD)

  • Omro Police Department- (920)-685-7007

Town of Omro

  • Animal Control- Troy Kettlewell- (920)-573-2202
  • Animal Control- Tammy Tracy- (920)-573-1427

Town of Poygan (call and leave courtesy message)

  • Town Chairman- Marty Johnson- (920)-410-6756 or (920)-685-6755
  • Town Supervisor- John Meyerhofer- (920)-582-4322 or (920)-379-8467

Town of Rushford (call for permission)

  • Animal Constable- Chuck Mier- (920)-420-5821
  • Chairman- Thomas Egan- (920)-379-8479

Town of Utica

Town of Winchester (dogs only)

  • Katie Joas- (920)-836-2076

Village if Winneconne (call for permission)

  • Village of Winneconne Police Dept- (920)-582-9944
  • Village President- Chris Boucher- (920)-582-4381

Town of Clayton

  • Town Constable- Scott Rieckmann- (920)-594-3070

Other tips to help find your lost animal:

  • Check and post on social media sites such as Facebook (look for pages focused on your city/town/area).  File a report with Lost Dogs of Wisconsin or Lost Cats of Wisconsin.  The Nextdoor app is also a valuable tool to use to contact your neighbors and alert them to your missing animal so they can report any sightings.  
  • Go door to door and talk to neighbors and post flyers with a clear picture and your contact information. 
  • Lost cat? Be sure to thoroughly check the house! Cats are masters at hiding in unusual places. Set out “stinky” food such as tuna or sardines to see if it attracts them. If you’re sure they got outside put a familiar scent item outside by the area where you think your cat got out such as the cat’s litter box, favorite bed or blanket.
  • If your animal is skittish or avoids people you may need to rent a live trap.  OAHS rents out live traps for a fee. Call 920-424-2128 for more information. 
  • Do NOT ever chase a scared animal as it may drive them further away or into traffic. 

IF YOU KNOW YOUR PET IS AT OAHS: First call 920-424-2128, ext 2 then ext 1. Click HERE for requirements to reclaim your pet.